Welcome Delegates and Trade Show Participants of the 2016 National BIA Conference in London, ON
LONDON – April 7, 2016 – The Ontario Business Improvement Area Association (OBIAA), and the London BIA, our many sponsors and exhibitors invite you to join us for the BIA Conference in London, Ontario. The Conference is presented to give BIAs and their business members the opportunity to hear and learn from experts, and network with others that share the same passion for creating a vibrant ‘people place’ in their core area.
- 23 Educational Sessions
- 3 Mobile Tours – Practical Educational Tours
- Greetings from Minister Brad Duguid, Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure
- 3 Keynote Speakers
- Ian Tyson
- Rob Spanier, Live Work Learn Play
- Amy Terrill, Music Canada
- Awards Dinner to recognize the seven (7) of the best of BIA Innovations, Community Development and Management
- OBIAA AGM
- Delegates include BIA Board Members, Business and Property Owners, Municipally Elected Representatives, Provincial and Municipal Staff
- BIAs are Local Boards of Municipal Councils
- BIAs work with Municipal Planners and Economic Development to nurture Community Development in their local areas
- The BIA Legislation is housed in the Municipal Act of the Province of Ontario
“Ontario BIA Association is delighted to present the 16th Annual National BIA Conference, where we celebrate and champion the work of the BIAs in Marketing & Promotions, Economic Development, Leadership & Management and Physical Improvements. OBIAA is committed to championing BIAs, through education, networking and advocacy.” Ellen Timms, President| OBIAA
Twitter: @OBIAA (Social media: #2016BIAConference)
Kay Matthews, Executive Director
Ontario BIA Association
VISION STATEMENT: OBIAA is renowned and respected across Ontario and beyond, as a dynamic and sustainable, highly-functioning organization, providing leadership, advocacy and world-class resources. OBIAA is a catalyst for positive community and economic change, enabling growth in Ontario BIAs.
OBIAA MISSION STATEMENT 2016: OBIAA is the network that represents unique and vibrant BIAs across Ontario. The Association supports and advocates on behalf of its members through the building and nurturing of strong relationships and partnerships. OBIAA is a leader in the development and sharing of information, tools, resources and best practices, and is the ONE voice on common issues.
Designation of improvement area
- (1) A local municipality may designate an area as an improvement area and may establish a board of management,
(a) to oversee the improvement, beautification and maintenance of municipally-owned land, buildings and structures in the area beyond that provided at the expense of the municipality generally; and
(b) to promote the area as a business or shopping area. 2001, c. 25, s. 204 (1).