MMAH – Provincial Policy Statement Review
The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing is launching a consultation on proposed policy changes to the Provincial Policy Statement (PPS). The PPS is an important part of Ontario’s land use planning system, setting out the provincial land use policy direction.
The Planning Act requires that decisions on land use planning matters be “consistent with” the Provincial Policy Statement policies.
The government is consulting on draft policy changes to:
- Encourage the development of an increased mix and supply of housing
- Protect the environment and public safety
- Reduce barriers and costs for development and provide greater predictability
- Support rural, northern and Indigenous communities
- Support the economy and job creation
The proposed PPS policy changes support the implementation of More Homes, More Choice: Ontario’s Housing Supply Action Plan. The Action Plan includes a series of distinct but coordinated initiatives to address housing supply, including a review of the Provincial Policy Statement. The proposed PPS changes work together with other recent changes to the land use planning system – including to the Planning Act through Bill 108, More Homes, More Choice Act, 2019 (once proclaimed) and A Place to Grow: Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
For more information about the consultation, please visit http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page215.aspx where you will find:
- A link to the posting on the Environment Registry of Ontario (ERO #019-0279), including the proposed Provincial Policy Statement and questions to consider
- Information on how to provide comments
The consultation is open for 90 days and closes on October 21, 2019.