The Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS) is now open for eligible businesses to apply!. The subsidy covers up to 65% of your monthly commercial rent, on a sliding scale proportional to your drop in revenue. Unlike the previous program, the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA), the rent subsidy is paid directly to commercial tenants such as yourself. Applications are also open for Lockdown support, which provides an additional 25% subsidy if you have been required to close operations due to public health orders, such as the ongoing lockdown in Peel Region and Toronto.
Who Can Apply?
- Sole proprietorships and taxable corporations
- Partnerships consisting of 50% or more eligible organizations
- Registered charities
- Non-profit organizations
- Certain Indigenous government-owned corporations
When are the Eligible Claim Periods?
To streamline the process of applying for business supports, the eligible claim periods for CERS are aligned to the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS):
- First Claim Period: September 27th to October 24th, 2020 (OPEN NOW)
- Second Claim Period: October 25th to November 21st, 2020 (Opening November 30th, 2020)
- Third Claim Period: November 22nd to December 19th, 2020
How is my subsidy calculated?
Your subsidy amount is based on your drop in revenue. You may calculate this drop in revenue in one of two ways:
METHOD 1: Based on the corresponding month of 2019 to the period for which you are applying (ex: October 2019 compared to October 2020).
METHOD 2: Based on the average of January and February 2020 compared to the period for which you are applying.
How Do I Apply?
You can apply for CERS through your CRA MyBusiness Account. If you do not have one already, you may register here. You will also need to create a CERS (ZA) number, which can be done through your MyBusiness Account.